Handing your items is an essential part of every move. However, it can be easy to get lost in the clutter and pack some items that you probably do not have to. But how to determine what to leave behind when moving to Massachusetts? Can you bring everything you have if you hire the most affordable movers Boston? In the following article, we will try to give an answer to that question and make your relocation easier and cheaper as well. Take a look.
The weight of your items is one of the most important factors when it comes to the price of your move
Dealing with your moving inventory is one of the most important parts when you are preparing for a move. However, it is also one of the most difficult parts as well. Moreover, it is the thing that you have to do even before you start searching for movers in Massachusetts. Why? Because the price of an apartment moving Boston is calculated according to the weight of your moving inventory. So if you want to get a precise estimate from your selected movers, they need to know how many items you want to relocate. This means that you need to get rid of all the excess items and make a list of items that you plan to load into the moving truck. But what to carry with you and what to leave behind when moving to Massachusetts?
Are you moving your home or an office?
There are many types of relocations. Right now, we can advise you to leave your garage junk behind, but what if you are relocating an office, for example? Commercial movers Boston operate the same way as residential movers when it comes to calculating the price of your move. In the following lines, we will try to take a look at both situations.
What to leave behind when moving your home to Massachusetts
If you are relocating your home, there are many things that you should leave behind when relocating to Massachusetts. Naturally, the important factor is the setup in your new home. If you are moving to a furnished home, you will have to leave your entire kitchen behind, maybe your furniture as well. The good thing about relocating to a furnished home is that you do not have to deal with relocating the heaviest items that are also the most expensive to move.
Of course, there are many types of furnished homes. Some will have only kitchen cabinets and appliances for example. Some will have bathroom furniture as well. And there are homes that are entirely equipped with furniture. So before you start removing your stuff, keep in mind what type of home you are moving to and decide according to that fact. But also bear in mind that residential movers Boston will charge you the most for your heaviest items.
A list of items you should leave behind when moving your home to Massachusetts
Here is the list of items that you should definitely remove, regardless of your new home’s setup:
- Old instruction manuals, warranties, magazines, and other expired documents
- Leftover paints and other chemicals from your workshop
- Chandeliers and other lighting fixtures
- Old clothes
- Potted and garden plants
- Old and badly damaged furniture
What to leave behind when relocating your office to Massachusetts
What if you are moving your office? The same principle goes for commercial relocations. First, think about the items your new office already has. Then start thinking about the things that you want to leave behind when moving your office to Massachusetts. However, when it comes to commercial relocations, it often includes changes in the company’s appearance. Maybe you decided to change the logo of your company, colors, and the entire image of your firm. In that case, your old furniture will probably not fit into your new appearance. Talk to your designers and let them decide what to leave behind.
What to do with items that you want to get rid of?
The chances are that you will have items that you are leaving behind. But often you cannot just leave them in your old place. You need to remove them. This might be a task that you didn’t expect. However, sometimes, your old items can bring you a significant profit. Of course, if you do it smartly. Here are your options:
- Organize a garage sale – it is the most complicated and most profitable way to remove your junk before the move
- Sell your furniture to Boston used furniture retailers – the fastest way to get rid of a great number of furniture pieces but do not expect to make a significant profit this way
- Sell them online – a good way to remove individual items but you never know how long it will take
- Donate to some of the Massachusetts charity organizations – charity organizations will usually come to your place to pick up the stuff you want to donate and you can become eligible for certain tax deductions if you donate during a relocation process
- Put them in storage – if you want to keep your stuff but you do not want to pay movers to transport them, rent a storage unit
- Recycle – if you feel that your items are of no use to anyone take them to the nearest recycling center
- Call junk removal service – If you have too much stuff you want to get rid of and you do not want to bother with them, call a professional junk removal service to do it for you.
Think well before you decide
As you can see there is a lot of brainstorming to do before you decide what items to leave behind when moving. There are many factors that you need to include. Still, bear in mind that leaving a number of heavy items will not only make your relocation easier but much cheaper as well.